Translation project management on autopilot
Translation Project Management, step by step
The PM must quickly provide customers with a quotation and time commitment.
Without Smartcat 😫: Manual file and message juggling with all the human risks involved
- Endless discussion emails; waiting for responses; for simple tasks more time is spent on talks than work.
- Even in tech-heavy domains such as software localization, you have to exchange (dozens of) files manually.
- Multi-system risks: E.g., translators start working on an older version than the one the customer submitted.
With Smartcat 🤗: A conveyor that is constantly ready for new orders
- Client portal where customers can upload documents, get instant quotes, and track progress.
- Continuous localization scenarios for localizing software,video games, or websites.
- Single system: Files are submitted & translated in the same place — no risk of losing them midway.
The PM has to make every project ready for translation as soon as possible.
Without Smartcat 😫: File and asset manipulation that takes time and nerves
- If a file is large, you have to split it into several chunks for different translators.
- You have to find any past translation memories and term bases to use for the project.
- If there’s text not to be translated, e.g. code snippets, you have to remove them manually.
- You have to extract text from scanned documents and PDFs manually in external tools.
With Smartcat 🤗: All the preprocessing you need — under the hood
- No need to split files — you will be able to assign them to multiple translators.
- Smartcat auto-selects translation memories & glossaries based on project type.
- Smartcat auto-converts code snippets etc. into special non-translatable blocks.
- Smartcat auto-extracts text from scanned documents and PDFs, preserving formatting.
The PM has to find translators with relevant expertise and proven track record.
Without Smartcat 😫: Scattered communication with resources scattered around the world
- You have to keep mailing lists or chat groups for in-house translators.
- You have to post job ads on industry forums if you need more people.
With Smartcat 🤗: All translators in one place with reliable quality data
- You can assign translators in two minutes and two button clicks.
- You find new translators right on the platform and assign them easily.
- Translator profiles are complete with verifiable historical productivity & quality data.
The PM has to get the project translated in time.
Without Smartcat 😫: Black box (that you’re somehow responsible for)
- You have no idea where your translators are at.
- You have to answer translators’ questions via email or IM.
- You have to rely on whatever translators say about the progress.
With Smartcat 🤗: All info at your fingertips, readily actionable
- You see the progress in real time per language and translator.
- You can answer translators’ questions in segment comments.
- You can timely react to any issues you face in the process.
The PM has to deliver the result to the customer quickly and in the desired format.
Without Smartcat 😫: Same drudgery as pre-processing, now done backwards
- You need to manually glue files back together.
- You have to make sure formatting doesn’t go astray.
- You need to put everything in the right places (FTP, VCS, etc.).
With Smartcat 🤗: All done automatically & on the fly
- Smartcat glues all pieces together with zero effort from the PM.
- Smartcat makes sure the formatting is just like in the original.
- Smartcat automatically pushes the content to where it belongs.
The PM has to make sure every vendor is remunerated in full and on time.
Without Smartcat 😫: Hours spent on tasks you don’t even want to know about
- You have to calculate the payables, factoring in TM discounts, etc.
- You have to talk with & pay dozens of vendors around the world.
- You have to keep paperwork for each payment.
With Smartcat 🤗: One invoice to pay them all
- Smartcat automatically calculates all payables.
- It automatically accumulates all payables in just one invoice.
- Smartcat prepares all the paperwork you need for tax reporting.
As the content economy rises, the proportion of menial,
automatable tasks for a TPM will be only increasing
Do you want to spend your work hours in this drudgery? If not,