Translation project management on autopilot
Translation Project Management, step by step
“Working in a single workspace, our PMs were able to increase their productivity up by 27% compared to the times they were using multiple segregated tools and spreadsheets.”
The PM must quickly provide customers with a quotation and time commitment.
Without Smartcat 😫: Manual file and message juggling with all the human risks involved
- Endless discussion emails; waiting for responses; for simple tasks more time is spent on talks than work.
- Even in tech-heavy domains such as software localization, you have to exchange (dozens of) files manually.
- Multi-system risks: E.g., translators start working on an older version than the one the customer submitted.
With Smartcat 🤗: A conveyor that is constantly ready for new orders
- Client portal where customers can upload documents, get instant quotes, and track progress.
- Continuous localization scenarios for localizing software,video games, or websites.
- Single system: Files are submitted & translated in the same place — no risk of losing them midway.
The PM has to make every project ready for translation as soon as possible.
Without Smartcat 😫: File and asset manipulation that takes time and nerves
- If a file is large, you have to split it into several chunks for different translators.
- You have to find any past translation memories and term bases to use for the project.
- If there’s text not to be translated, e.g. code snippets, you have to remove them manually.
- You have to extract text from scanned documents and PDFs manually in external tools.
With Smartcat 🤗: All the preprocessing you need — under the hood
- No need to split files — you will be able to assign them to multiple translators.
- Smartcat auto-selects translation memories & glossaries based on project type.
- Smartcat auto-converts code snippets etc. into special non-translatable blocks.
- Smartcat auto-extracts text from scanned documents and PDFs, preserving formatting.
“We reduced our working hours thanks to new technology and still get enough money to thrive.”
The PM has to find translators with relevant expertise and proven track record.
Without Smartcat 😫: Scattered communication with resources scattered around the world
- You have to keep mailing lists or chat groups for in-house translators.
- You have to post job ads on industry forums if you need more people.
With Smartcat 🤗: All translators in one place with reliable quality data
- You can assign translators in two minutes and two button clicks.
- You find new translators right on the platform and assign them easily.
- Translator profiles are complete with verifiable historical productivity & quality data.
The PM has to get the project translated in time.
Without Smartcat 😫: Black box (that you’re somehow responsible for)
- You have no idea where your translators are at.
- You have to answer translators’ questions via email or IM.
- You have to rely on whatever translators say about the progress.
With Smartcat 🤗: All info at your fingertips, readily actionable
- You see the progress in real time per language and translator.
- You can answer translators’ questions in segment comments.
- You can timely react to any issues you face in the process.
“We can find new freelancers and engage them in our work without the fear of their failing the project.”
The PM has to deliver the result to the customer quickly and in the desired format.
Without Smartcat 😫: Same drudgery as pre-processing, now done backwards
- You need to manually glue files back together.
- You have to make sure formatting doesn’t go astray.
- You need to put everything in the right places (FTP, VCS, etc.).
With Smartcat 🤗: All done automatically & on the fly
- Smartcat glues all pieces together with zero effort from the PM.
- Smartcat makes sure the formatting is just like in the original.
- Smartcat automatically pushes the content to where it belongs.
The PM has to make sure every vendor is remunerated in full and on time.
Without Smartcat 😫: Hours spent on tasks you don’t even want to know about
- You have to calculate the payables, factoring in TM discounts, etc.
- You have to talk with & pay dozens of vendors around the world.
- You have to keep paperwork for each payment.
With Smartcat 🤗: One invoice to pay them all
- Smartcat automatically calculates all payables.
- It automatically accumulates all payables in just one invoice.
- Smartcat prepares all the paperwork you need for tax reporting.
“Everything is integrated in one process, so everybody on our team has access to the same workflow, same projects, same database.”
As the content economy rises, the proportion of menial,
automatable tasks for a TPM will be only increasing
Do you want to spend your work hours in this drudgery? If not,