Out of so many different ways to learn online, Articulate Rise takes the matter to the next level. With its help, course authors can produce amazing courses quickly (the template library really is something) and collaborate with other course authors.
But, of course, the main question here is how to translate a course made in Articulate Rise to other languages? Reaching other markets is crucial to the commercial success of a new course program. When it comes to translation, this platform, unfortunately, has nothing to offer as of yet.
That’s okay, however. Smartcat to the rescue! We’ve got you covered, fellow Articulate Rise course authors! Here’s how you can do it in a few easy steps.
Step 1. Duplicate your course
First things first, you need to make a duplicate of your course on Articulate Rise 360. That’s going to be the translated course version, so if you’ve got multiple languages you aim to provide your course in, be sure to make the right number of duplicates. The course will preserve its layout, so no need to worry about that.
- To duplicate the course, hover over the course tile in your Rise 360 dashboard, and choose Duplicate.
- Enter the name for the course (a good idea would be to specify the language) and click Save.
Do note: only course managers and owners can do this.
Step 2. Export the course as an XLIFF file
Now you need to export it as an XLIFF file, which is a common file format used in translation management systems.
- Open the course you’ve made for translation, click Settings in the upper right corner, and proceed to the Translations tab.
- If you don’t need to preserve formatting, deselect “Include HTML formatting”. Note that you’ll have to format the course afterward if you choose to do this.
- Click ‘Export XLIFF file’ and save it.
Step 3. Translate the file using Smartcat
Translating an XLIFF file is a pretty straightforward process in Smartcat. All you really need to do is register, upload the file, and use machine translation and MT post-editing to get it done quickly.
- Sign in to your Smartcat account and create a new project.
- Choose ‘Translation.Fast.’ for machine translation.
- Select the source and target languages, and upload you XLIFF file into the system.
- Hit the ‘Get result’ button.
- Wait while the system parses your XLIFF file, extracts the text, and translates it. This should take less than a minute.
- When the translation is complete, press the ‘Download completed files’ button to download the translated XLIFF files to your computer.
If you need post-editing there are a few more steps:
7. Enter the project you created, click ‘View Tasks’, and select the language you’d like to edit.
8. In the window that opens, you’ll see your XLIFF translation units split into sentences. You can change segments partly or completely.
9. When you’ve finished editing, make sure you confirm the translation by ticking the corresponding box in each segment.
10. Hit the ‘Done’ button to accept all changes and finalize editing the document.
Last but not least, assigning a professional to edit your text:
11. Go to the ‘Overview’ tab and hit ‘Add post-editing’ button.
12. Check out the recommended suppliers, their ratings and rates, and choose the one that best fits your needs.
Step 4. Import Translated Text Back to Articulate Rise
Once the translation is complete, it’s time to return to Articulate Rise and import it.
- Click “Settings” in the upper right corner and proceed to the “Translations” tab.
- Click “Import Translated Text”. Select the translated XLIFF file and click “Open”. You will see a message when the task is complete.
- If you see an error “Translation file doesn’t match this course”, then it means that either the file is not matching this particular course, hasn’t been translated fully, or the file is corrupt. Try checking the file integrity and completion before trying again.
Why Choose Smartcat?
Simple. It has everything you need to translate Articulate Rise courses impeccably, yourself or otherwise, in one place. Namely:
- Smartcat is cloud-based. You can translate your courses on any device or location with internet access.
- Smartcat protects XLIFF file layout through tags, so you don’t have to re-format your course after every translation.
- Smartcat learns from your own translations. Smartcat’s AI can automatically apply edits and offer suggestions to similar content, making the translation of similar content to multiple languages much more efficient.
- Editing of machine-translated text is easy to do, with less hassle and visual noise.
- You can invite as many people to work together with you as you wish at no extra charge. You’ll see the entire history of your team’s collaboration in the editor.
- Smartcat has a parser specifically tailored for translating Articulate Rise XLIFF files and offers much better segmentation compared to other CAT tools.
Here’s what one of our customers thinks about it:
I finally had a chance to use this enhancement… it’s great! Much fewer tags to copy over. Thank you so much for working with your programmers to get this implemented for us!
It just works. Try it and see for yourself!
What Else Smartcat can do?
That’s not all Smartcat can offer for you. There is more good stuff, all available absolutely for free. Here’s what you might find interesting:
- Find freelancers or translation agencies you like and work together in a database of 500,000+ experts. You can pay your freelancers or translation agencies right in the platform’s interface. It doesn’t have to be a company registered in Smartcat, so you can pay for work that was done outside Smartcat.
- Centralize team communication, share files, invite people from anywhere and for any task, mix freelancers, or in-house team members, and more.
- Integrate Smartcat with your favorite services tools and automate the localization process even more.
- Take advantage of Smartcat Autopilot. Optimal freelancer search, project management, Smartwords, and more awesome automation - in a single package.
The world is a big place. Your courses will help a lot more people if you make them available to them. Don’t miss on an opportunity of expanding to new markets - it has never been easier than it is today with Smartcat.
Join us, and hop in! Together, we, you, and your e-learning content is going places - for sure.